Guided wine tours
Visiting Guado al Melo is an authentic travel into the history and culture of wine, as well through your senses. We offer different ways to visit our winery and learn about our wines, both for individuals and small family groups, and larger groups. Contact us during the office hours for more information and costs.
Spoken languages: English, German
The tours are by reservation only.
"PARVA" VISIT – tasting + wine museum
- Length: 40 minutes about.
From the Latin parva, that means "little". It includes a brief presentation of the estate and the tasting of 4 wines (top included). It is possible the unguided tour of our wine museum at the end of the tasting.
Conditions: booking is not mandatory but it is recommended to avoid waiting times (the number of places is limited)
During our tourist season opening: from First of April (or from Easter, if on March) to the end of October, from afternoon Monday to Saturday.
“PLENA” VISIT – Guided tour + tasting + wine museum
- Length: one and a half hours / two hours; further stay in the museum is free.
From the Latin plena, that means "complete". Includes the guided tour described on the side and the tasting of 4 wines (including our tops). It is possible the unguided tour of our wine museum at the end of the tasting.
During our tourist season opening: from First of April (or Ester, if on March) to the end of October, from afternoon Monday to Saturday, the tour starts at 10.00/10.30 am and 3.00 pm.
For groups: all days all year round.
The tour itinerary:
-on the "green roof" of the winery ", among vineyards, woods and hills: we talk about the history of Guado al Melo, the history of the territory and its transformations, of the Bolgheri DOC, of sustainable and rural viticulture;
- the ancient and modern vineyards: we speak of the ancestral origins of wine, visiting an Etruscan vineyard with wild vines, the Egyptian pergola and the Greek tree and how, from here, you get to the contemporary viticulture;
- at the doors of the underground cellar: we talk about sustainable choices, how a cellar can be thought of as an element completely integrated into the landscape and respectful of it;
- in the cellar: Going down into the heart of the structure, between tanks and barrels, you hear the story of how the grapes, obtained with so much care in the vineyard, fulfills its destiny under our respectful and sensitive guidelines
- the museum and the wine library: let's immerse ourselves in the millenary history and culture of wine, made of peasant culture, technical evolution but also of myths, religion, art and literature. Partly guided and partly free.
- wine tasting
ATTENTION: in case of bad weather, in the impossibility of visiting the external areas, this part of the visit will be explained in the cellar with the help of explanatory panels (in our museum).
The cellar has an external square for parking.
The cellar is all on one floor, with no gradients or stairs.
The visit on the "green roof" of the winery includes a short uphill path, not passable with wheelchairs or similar. If so, please report it: you can still change the route slightly, without compromising the quality of the visit.
Dogs are welcome but they can't enter the working areas (by law).
In the visit there is a short (and simple) external route: comfortable shoes are recommended.
The temperature of the cellar is on average much fresher than the outside. In summer it is also pleasant, in other seasons an extra cover may be needed.